Smith County Schools
126 S.C.M.S Lane
Carthage, TN 37030
Hours: 7:45 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Misty Smith Homeless Liaison Smith County Schools 126 S.C.M.S Lane Carthage, TN 37030 (615) 735-9625 email@example.com Hours: 7:45 a.m. - 3:15 p.m. Smith County School System provides services for students who meet requirements for the Mckinney-Vento Act of 2001. The Homeless Education Program is designed to facilitate the enrollment, attendance and success of homeless children and Tennessee schools. All school districts in Tennessee are required to provide needed services to homeless children. The Tennessee department of Education receives funding for the program through a federal Mckinney-Vento Homeless Education Act. This policy is to ensure that homeless children in our district receive needed services.
Who is homeless? Anyone who, due to a lack of housing, lives
• In emergency or transitional shelters
• In motels, hotels, trailer parks, campgrounds, abandoned in hospitals, or awaiting foster care
• In cars, parks, public places, bus or train stations, or abandoned buildings
• Doubled up with relatives or friends
• Migratory children living in these conditions
Where can homeless children and youth attend school?
• The school the child attended before becoming homeless or was last enrolled in (school of origin)
• The school in the attendance area where the child or youth is temporarily living How can delays be avoided when enrolling a homeless child or youth in school?
• Homeless children must be enrolled immediately.
• If school records are unavailable, ask that the records be sent electronically or shared over the phone.
• Ask that a student's immunization records be transferred over the phone from the sending school to the receiving schooL
• Contact your school district, principal, counselor, or local homeless education liaison with any concerns.